Interior Decorator / Colour Consultant

"Let me assist you with Colour Advice and all your Decor Queries..."































Friday 30 March 2012

"Colour Dilemma's"

I often get asked which Colours do you work best with or which Colours do you steer away from...My answer is Simple - I love Colour and I am not afraid of it. I can work with any Colour...or should I say I can make any Colour Work. If you use simple guide-lines like "Lighting"; "Basic Colour Rules" and lastly taking into consideration the other contributing "Design Elements" in the Room - You should be fine.

I often get handed a Picture from a Magazine or Internet and then get asked to match up the Colour on the Wall.

FOR EXAMPLE : Take these Pictures and Match up the "Chartreuse Green" that's on the Wall.


The first thing I consider is Lighting - You will notice this room has a lot of "Uplighting"-Therefore all the Light is bouncing towards the Ceiling. To brighten up the Room I would suggest that the Ceiling be Painted White as this also Opens the Room up allowing it to appear Larger. The other "Basic Colour Rules"are :
1)Ceiling Colour
2)Floor Colour
3)Furniture/Softs/Accessories Colour
4)Ect...

These need to tie in with the Choice of Colour....ie: They need to Compliment or Contrast off each other.

You will notice that "Grey" Tones work very well with Chartreuse or Lime Greens. White is a Perfect "Accent/Back-drop" Colour and the "Gold" also adds not only "Glamour" but is included as a "Statement" Colour...to create a Stir.

The Elements of Design are always important - Line;Colour;Flow and Layout of a Room. You will see that the "Grey" in the Sofa is the grounding Colour as this is used to tie the "Colour Scheme" together. The Wall Colour is used as a "Back-drop/Accent" Colour so that everything placed around it bounces right back at you...The Black and White Frames on the Wall once again create "Statements" and are accentuated by the Wall Colour. The Patterned Carpet and Scatters add Texture and Print - which in-turn creates depth and balance to the Room.




Margarita 2026-20 (Benjamin Moore)
70 YY 39/613 (Dulux)
8077-5 Lime Gold (Dekade Paints)



These are just a few Colour Palettes I have matched them up to.
Hope you have Fun Colour Matching. 'Til next time...FK:-)

No comments: